Gum disease has many stages it can go through, but the sooner you catch it, the sooner treatment and recovery can begin. If plaque is left unchecked in your mouth, it can harden and become tartar. With time, tartar can lead to gingivitis, which is an early stage of gum disease. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to battle the effects of gum disease and potentially prevent it entirely. Here is a list of things to watch out for:
– Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco at all costs. Tobacco can cause gum disease, and can even lead to cancer or death.
– Although you really cannot prevent hormonal changes, it is important to know that hormone changes in women and young girls can increase the chance for gingivitis to develop, which is an early stage of gum disease.
– Various medications can increase the risk of gum disease by causing your mouth to dry easier, preventing saliva from protecting your teeth and gums. Be sure to speak with your dentist at Cedar Pointe Family Dentistry about what medications you may be taking.
– A poor diet will not only increase your risk for gum disease but it can also increase your risk for a host of other issues. Always maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
– Diabetes can increase your risk for gum disease, along with a host of other diseases.
Gum disease has many stages of severity, many of which can be reversed. To learn more or to schedule a visit with Dr. Denver Palmer, you can call our office in Farmington, New Mexico, by calling our number at (505) 327.0044. Turn your frown upside down and bring back your smile today!